[dm-devel] LVM on dmraid breakage

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 20:52:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 04:19:59PM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I am investigating a bug report involving the combination of lvm and
> dmraid, and it seems to me that the problem is that lvm is detecting the
> underlying partition on the primary disk and accessing it directly
> rather than going through the raid device made by dmraid.  I think that
> the problem is there is no facility for dmraid to "claim" the physical
> disk so that lvm does not look at it, and also to have lvm scan the raid
> device for physical volumes.

LVM tries hard to 'do the right thing' in cases like this.  If it's
getting it wrong in some particular case, we need to fix it.  I presume
it gives you a warning message about the duplicate UUID?

If this can be reproduced using the latest upstream source code release,
please supply relevant details (lvm.conf, -vvvv traces & dmsetup output)
- you can run 'lvm_dump.sh -a' (in the scripts dir) to capture this.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com