[dm-devel] multi-path devices only created in /dev/mapper

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 19:52:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 02:37:43PM -0500, Paul Cote wrote:

>    Hi
>

>    I just recently upgraded a RH server to update 5 and recently noticed that
>    multi-path devices are no longer being created in the /dev/mpath ... but
>    just in /dev/mapper.
>
>    Has /dev/mpath been deprecated in update 5? ... or is there something else
>    going on?

They should be created in /dev/mpath.  This is done by udev.  Is udev
otherwise working properly.  If you partition the underlying device, do
dm devices get created for the partitions by kpartx?

Also, since the /dev/mapper device nodes exist as soon as the
device is created, and the /dev/mpath symlinks don't get created until
udev gets around to it, you are usually better off simply using the
/dev/mapper names anyways.

-Ben