[dm-devel] Snapshots

Jun'ichi Nomura j-nomura at ce.jp.nec.com
Sat Dec 22 01:28:05 UTC 2007

Phillip Susi wrote:
> Jun'ichi Nomura wrote:
>> So, you have to put the linear mapping *before* that.
>> Then, the top-level block device will be locked but you can
>> still change the underlying mappings.
>
> So using a disk device as a dm target locks it.  DM won't use a disk
> device as a target if it is locked.

If a device is locked by a DM device on top of it,
other DM device can still use the device as a target.

Also, even if a DM device is locked by mount, you can still change
the table of the DM device.

> Are you saying that dm can use
> another dm device as a target, even if it is already locked by being
> used as another dm target?

I'm not sure if I understand your last sentence correctly.
Does the above comment answer to your question?

Thanks,
--
Jun'ichi Nomura, NEC Corporation of America