[dm-devel] Weird discrepancy between /dev/mapper/* and /dev/dm-* devices breaks lilo

Loïc Minier lool+redhat at via.ecp.fr
Wed Jan 31 15:47:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> >  Or is the device-mapper code supposed to accept device names from /dev
> >  as parameters?
> It does not do that at the moment.  Perhaps there's a case for adding
> inode->device number conversions to dmsetup: You're the first person
> to suggest this.

 Ok; lilo isn't calling the dmsetup command, but uses libdevmapper
 directly, so even if you add support for any /dev device name in
 dmsetup, it wont help lilo.  Hence, I've changed the problematic dm
 task call to use major/minor instead of the name (see attached patch)
 and will wait for feedback from users as I don't have such a setup.

 So, thanks for clarifying this!  I'm not sure it would be a good idea
 to accept device mapper names as well as /dev names in dmsetup as I
 think this would confuse things.  I personally like it that dmsetup
 reflects what the ioctl accepts, nothing more, nothing less.

PS: I was wrong when saying that the code is in a Debian specific patch,
the patch is only historic and the problematic code is in the lilo
mainline
--
Loïc Minier <lool at dooz.org>