[dm-devel] multipath-tool udev rules require missing dmsetup features

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Thu Jul 19 06:16:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 06:04:01PM -0700, Brian De Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I've been using the latest git versions of multipath-tools and I've
> noticed that the udev rules that are included, specifically those for kpartx,
> refer to environment variables such as DM_TABLE_STATE, DM_PART, DM_UUID, etc.
> However, the kpartx.rules file contains nothing that would bring those
> environment variables into the environment.  After some googling, I found
> http://ftp.frugalware.org/pub/frugalware/frugalware-current/source/lib/device-mapper/
> which has a patch that adds a command to dmsetup called 'export'.  I've found
> various udev scripts that use this command to pull the environment variables I
> listed before for use in udev rules and the multipath-tools kpartx.rules file
> itself works perfectly when the correct 'dmsetup export' command is imported.

Errm. Oops.

Well, I'm to blame here. When creating the rules I totally forgot that we've hacked
dmsetup to provide an 'export' switch.

> What really puzzles me is that this patch was very difficult to find, but is
> essential to the 'official' multipath-tools udev rules.  Is there something that
> I'm missing that makes this all make sense?

As already said, it totally makes sense when you hack up dmsetup and then forget
about the patch. Sorry about this.

Alasdair, care to incorporate it?

Cheers,

Hannes
hare at suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N�rnberg
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG N�rnberg)