[dm-devel] user defined device name and table

Pedro Bandim Faustino pedro.faustino at fccn.pt
Wed Nov 28 10:32:00 UTC 2007

Hi Ben,

They do change names, the thing is that when the drivers are first
loaded at boot time, /dev/dm-0 gets multipathed and mapped to
/dev/mpath/mpath0 and /dev/mapper/mpath0
Afterwards when there's a context switch to userspace, /dev/dm-2 gets
multipathed and mapped to whatever alias I would have in multipath.conf
(I could have blacklisted dm-2).

[root at m07 ~]# df -h
/dev/dm-2             3.8G  1.8G  1.9G  48% /
/dev/dm-1              99M   24M   70M  26% /boot
/dev/sde1              92G  188M   87G   1% /log
tmpfs                1014M     0 1014M   0% /dev/shm

So what I did was first change the table (modifying the init script of
the initrd), and booted.
Then I've issued a dmsetup rename and afterwards a mkinitrd. I've also
edited the multipath.conf in order to blacklist by WWID the local SAS
disk and the boot LUN, and also defined some policies for the FC SAN I'm
using (IBM DS4700), and booted.

This is now what I have:

[root at m07 ~]# multipath -ll
SRV07_BOOT () dm-0 IBM,1814      FAStT
[size=4.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
 \_ 2:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][ready]
 \_ 3:0:0:0 sdc 8:32  [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=6][active]
 \_ 2:0:1:0 sdb 8:16  [active][ready]
 \_ 3:0:1:0 sdd 8:48  [active][ready]

[root at m07 ~]# cat /etc/multipath.conf
defaults {
        udev_dir                /dev
        polling_interval        2
        selector                "round-robin 0"
        path_grouping_policy    multibus
        getuid_callout          "/sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/%n"
        prio_callout            /bin/true
        path_checker            readsector0
        rr_min_io               100
        rr_weight               priorities
        failback                immediate
        no_path_retry           fail
        user_friendly_name      yes
}

blacklist {
        # Blacklist the local disk
        wwid 35000c500057cd8d3
        # Blacklist the root disk
        wwid 3600a0b8000295d64000009304742b4c8
        devnode "^(ram|raw|loop|fd|md|dm-|sr|scd|st)[0-9]*"
        devnode "^hd[a-z]"
        devnode "^cciss!c[0-9]d[0-9]*"
}

devices {
        device {
                vendor                  "IBM"
                product                 "1814      FAStT"
                path_grouping_policy    group_by_serial
                path_checker            tur
                prio_callout            "/sbin/mpath_prio_tpc /dev/%n"
                no_path_retry           queue
        }
}

Pedro Bandim Faustino
email/sip: pedro.faustino at fccn.pt
www.fccn.pt

Aviso de Confidencialidade

Esta mensagem é exclusivamente destinada ao seu destinatário, podendo conter informação CONFIDENCIAL, cuja divulgação está expressamente vedada nos termos da lei. Caso tenha recepcionado indevidamente esta mensagem, solicitamos-lhe que nos comunique esse mesmo facto por esta via ou para o telefone +351 218440100 devendo apagar o seu conteúdo de imediato. This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. It may contain CONFIDENTIAL information protected by law. If this message has been received by error, please notify us via e-mail or by telephone +351 218440100 and delete it immediately.