[dm-devel] performance considerations with IO schedulers and DMmultipathing

Stefan Bader sbader3 at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 30 13:02:31 UTC 2007

2007/11/30, Romanowski, John (OFT) <John.Romanowski at oft.state.ny.us>:

> Here's some links:
>
> Google cache of this article:
> "The basis for my test was to determine the best possible performance
> combination of elevator tuning AND /etc/multipath.conf rr_min_io setting."
>
> http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:q2p5HOwGxHwJ:www.techyblog.com/content/view/45/28/+Multipath+rr_min_io+Oracle+Elevator+Benchmarks&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

The thing is, that there are two settings that affect different drivers. The
I/O scheduler setting will affect the disks that are part of the multipath
volume (and only them), while the rr_min_io affects the multipath volume.
The higher the value of rr_min_io, the more requests are sent down one path
before switching to the next in the same path group. While this is good for
sequential I/O (because the elevator/scheduler on the underlying device can
merge more efficiently), this reduces the amount of I/O that is sent in
parallel. With very high rr_min_io settings you will end up using mostly one
path at a time, while the others are idle.
Using small values for rr_min_io, the chances of spreading the requests over
all paths are higher, but so is the chance of separating a long sequence
into smaller parts that are not sequential for the disk devices that make
the paths. Here a scheduler setting that copes with that pattern can help.
Another approach, that is not in the mainline kernel yet, is to introduce a
queue to the multipath target, merge sequential request there and send each
I/O down another path (like rr_min_io=1 would do). Kiyoshi Ueda from NEC had
a presentation about this on last years OLS (
https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/ueda-Reprint.pdf ). From their
evaluation of the current kernel, smaller rr_min_io values improved
performance but the best value was different for reads and writes.

Stefan

"The short summary of our study indicates that there is no SINGLE answer to