[dm-devel] Linux Device Mapper/Storage Stack Diagram Q

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 19:13:21 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to get a better understanding in my mind of how the storage
stack in Linux looks from the Userland down to the SCSI LLD. This may
not be the appropriate forum, and I do apologize and ask for
recommendations for a better forum if it is not.

I've attached a diagram of how I think the stack looks, but the
interaction/placement of LVM2 with respect to the device-mapper is
throwing me a bit (that and I would like to verify I understand the
SCSI subsystem layers correctly). If anyone could correct me where I'm
wrong I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Jason