[dm-devel] Multipath on boot and root partition with Redhat5.0

Sandrine Twardy twardy at univ-tln.fr
Wed Oct 10 10:58:41 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have a SAN Eva 5000 HP And I have installed a redhat 5.0 on my server
with "linux mpath", so far all is fine.
I have an os device multipathed as follow :

 > multipath -ll
mpath0 () dm-0 COMPAQ,HSV110 (C)COMPAQ
[size=7.0G][features=0][hwhandler=0]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][active]
\_ 3:0:0:1 sdb 8:16  [active][ready]
\_ 4:0:0:1 sdc 8:32  [active][ready]

But when I presents a new lun to my host and scans again the scsi lun, I
am losing the multipath on the disk (/ and /boot)
(possibly because the name of device is changed from sdb/sdc to sdc/sde ? )

Here's an extract of my multipath.conf:

multipath {
              wwid                    3600508b40000c1c50001c000000b0000
              path_grouping_policy    group_by_serial
              rr_weight               uniform
              prio_callout            /bin/true
              alias                   os_lun
      }
     But it's seems that on boot the mutlipath.conf file is not read.
Am I right?
When the system is booted, multipathd cannot use the boot device ...
What can I do to fix the boot device name persistence? Where is supposed
to be configuration file that defines the multipath options of the boot
device ?

Right now, the server can boot because my fstab is like this:
LABEL=/1                /                      LABEL=/boot
/boot

Thanks you for your help