[dm-devel] multibus / failover and EMC CX600

Mike Christie michaelc at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 17 19:49:39 UTC 2007

Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Hannes Reinecke
>
>> That's the dev_loss_tmo setting. Just increase it to something to
>> your liking.
>
> Oh, sweet.  This knob won't affect how long the layer will hold I/O
> before failing it (like lpfc_nodev_tmo), I assume?  (I'm worried about
> it taking longer for dm-multipath to detect failed paths).

With newer versions of lpfc you can set
/sys/class/fc_rport/rportXYZ/fast_io_fail_tmo to a low value so that IO
is failed quickly, and then set the dev_loss_tmo to a high value so the
device is not removed quickly.

The only problem may be that there is a race where dm-multpiath could be
queueing IO to the scsi layer while the scsi layer is reporting a
failure. That IO that was getting queued will then sit in the scsi layer
until dev_loss_tmo fires. That is fixed with this patchset
http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=117399843216280&w=2
but I never finished testing it out.