[dm-devel] NIC and HBA based multipathing

Scott Moseman scmoseman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:11:43 UTC 2007

Thanks for the follow-up.  I have each initiator setup with access to
the SAN.  The NIC is accessing /dev/sdb and the HBA is accessing
/dev/sdc.  I can mount either (or both) and access the data on the SAN
volume.

# rpm -qa | grep multipath
device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-16.1.RHEL4

# /etc/init.d/multipathd status
multipathd (pid 15929) is running...

I'm following the instructions on Red Hat's KB to setup the
multipath.conf file.  The modprobes were successful, the service
started, but...

# multipath -v2
error calling out /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sda

...with /dev/sda being my physical hard drive.  dmesg output says:

device-mapper: dm-multipath: error getting device
device-mapper: error adding target to table

# ls -l /dev/mapper/mpath*
ls: /dev/mapper/mpath*: No such file or directory

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  My config file is
currently the exact same as what appears in the Red Hat KB article.
Yes, I followed up with the next KB article and added "sda" to the
blacklist, but I still get the same message running multipath -v2.

Thanks,
Scott