[dm-devel] RE: Reducing amount of logmessages openiscsi/multipath [with md3000i]

Kees Hoekzema kees at tweakers.net
Wed Aug 20 10:57:24 UTC 2008

This fixed the problem, although a simple flush was not enough to activate
the changes, so it took a bit longer to get the result I wanted. In the end
I saw that it was still using the direction path_checker and noticed that
you cannot change the 'path_checker' on the fly with just a multipath -F /
-v 2, but that a reload of the modules was needed.

$ multipath -ll
webdata (36001ec9000d163110000067f484e260c) dm-0 DELL    ,MD3000i
[size=2.0T][features=0][hwhandler=1 rdac]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=1000][active]
 \_ 0:0:0:0 sda 8:0   [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=1][enabled]
 \_ 1:0:0:0 sdb 8:16  [active][ready]
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]
 \_ 2:0:0:0 sdc 8:32  [active][ghost]
 \_ 3:0:0:0 sdd 8:48  [active][ghost]

That is the output of multipath now, and no more spam in my syslog or dmesg.

(The different priorities you see are because the second path (with a prio
of 1) is a longer path through 1 more switch, so I'd rather not give it a
high priority, and if the '1000' path fails, it just uses the '1' path.)

A big thanks to everyone who directed me on the right path ;)

-kees