[dm-devel] Re: no INQUIRY from userspace please

Stefan Richter stefanr at s5r6.in-berlin.de
Thu Feb 7 17:13:43 UTC 2008

> James Bottomley wrote:
>> It's all very well to say this, but I think if you look at what udev
>> does, you'll find that it uses scsi_id to send a VPD inquiry to the
>> device so it can populate /dev/disk/by-id, so the point is already
>> conceded

PS:  Alas we don't have a practicable way to know how many of the
  - doesn't work with Linux but works to some degree with Windows,
  - doesn't work with a 2.6 based Linux distro but did work with a
    2.4 based distro
kinds of devices are those with this INQUIRY bug or similar bugs.

While non-udev distros slowly went out of fashion on the desktop, there
was a certain frequency of reports of the latter kind of FireWire
devices, but this was before I became aware of that kind of firmware
bug, therefore I don't have any data whether it played a role for these
cases.
--
Stefan Richter