[dm-devel] Re: Multipath-tools not seeing replaced RAID controller

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 14 01:30:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 23:09 +0100, S. J. van Harmelen wrote:
> Hi Chandra,
>
> I hope you can answer this question, but of course I'll be very happy if
> anyone on this list can answer my question.
>
> I just replaced a faulty RAID controller in an MD3000 enclosure. Now
> after enabling it, I can't see it in the multipath driver (mutlipath
> -ll). Not even after restarting the multipath-tools (version 0.4.8)...
>
> So what should I restart so that it sees the new controller? I rather
> not restart the host if possible...

Do you see the disks ? (doing a lsscsi would show it). I guess not.

If not, you need to probe/hotplug the disks first

ho,
# echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host${host_no}/scan
  ## the three -'s are for wildcards for channel, id and LUN.

If you don't know the "host_no", do it on for all the hosts under
scsi_host, it will not harm anything.

If you have multipathd running when you run the "echo" above you would
see all the dm devices when it completes (or soon thereafter).

You don't need to reboot the server.

> Thanks!!
>
> Sander

    Chandra Seetharaman               | Be careful what you choose....
              - sekharan at us.ibm.com   |      .......you may get it.