[dm-devel] Multipath and getuid_callout issues with HP XP1024 disk array

malahal at us.ibm.com malahal at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 29 22:18:51 UTC 2008

Greene, Rick [rick.greene at ncogroup.com] wrote:
>    I've done what I can to try to understand how all this works, but I keep
>    getting "error calling out /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sda" when I run
>    the command "multipath -v2"
>

>    I've tried a number of different things in the /etc/multipath.conf file,
>    but keep coming back to this same error.  If I run the command manually I
>    get the following:
>

>    # /sbin/scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sda
>
>    0HP______OPEN-E__________50060e80039c5a0400000000000000000000e100
>

>    What's missing?  Any help greatly appreciated.

You are not missing anything. The device id is too big to fit in
multipath tools allocated memory. The program incorrectly prints that
there is a problem while executing /sbin/scsi_id but in fact the problem
lies in the program itself. You may have some old version of multipath
tools. WWID_SIZE was set to 64 bytes and that is small for your device.
Get the latest version where that macro is set to 128 or so.

Hope that helps!

--Malahal.