[dm-devel] multipathing Sun 6140

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 13 17:32:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 17:14 -0400, Gustavo Riveros wrote:
> Hi dm-developers,
>
> I'm having problem with multipathing device-mapper with my linux server,
> but this was resolved by Thread "multipathing flip flopping on Sun 6140"
> very well
> (http://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2007-August/msg00066.html)
>
> The configuration is the same:
>
> X4600 Server
> 2 HBA's Emulex
> SAN STK6140
>
> but in dmesg i have the following error message:
>
> Buffer I/0 error on device sdf, logical block 0
> end_request: I/0 error, dev sdf, sector 0
>
> Did you know the error message?

This is the error message that is printed when the lun is accesses thru
the passive paths. These are _not_ a problem.

They will not appear if all the access to the luns are thru the dm
devices (in which case you will see these only during device probing
time.

I am pushing a set of patches (currently in -mm, and hopefully will get
into 2.6.27) that will get rid of these messages.