[dm-devel] simple question... to tough to answer?

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Fri May 16 11:19:13 UTC 2008

Hi Wim,

Wim Colgate wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m not quite sure why no one in the community hasn’t been able to
> answer my questions.
>
> Simply (re)stated:
>
> 1) Are there hooks for dm/multipath events to notify software?

Yes. There is the general dm_event mechanism (which I wouldn't recommend)
or with newer kernels you'll get netlink events from multipath for any
path-related events.

> 2) does path down/up fire up udev rules?

Not as such. As stated above we should be sending out netlink events for
path up/down events, but to my knowledge no-one is taking advantage
of them. Certainly not udev in its default setting nor multipath.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare at suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)