[dm-devel] Read-Only devices, multipath and more

Christophe Varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Fri May 16 19:35:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'll try to summarize the facts about how linux kernel (scsi and
device-mapper) and userspace (multipath-tools) handles devices
RO->RW->RO changes.

The sample setup is 2 x EMC Symmetrix systems, with a pair of logical
unit configured for synchronous inter-system replication (SRDF). In a
normal situation, the LU receiving the data updates (the R2) is RO,
while the LU emitting the data updates (the R1) is RW. Let's take this
state as a starting point.

Server S1 sees R1. Server S2 sees R2

---

t0)
storage state: R1 (RW) <- sync -> R2 (RO)
action: Linux system on S2 freshly rebooted.
fact: scsi paths to R2 are reported read-only by "hdparm -r"
fact: device-mapper refuse to load a RW multipath table on these paths
(ie without libdevmapper:set_task_set_ro())

question: should change this behaviour to allow to load a RW multipath
table on these paths and let the IO be failed by the storage hardware ?

t1)
storage state: R1 (RW) <- split -> R2 (RW)
action: none
fact: scsi paths to R2 are still reported read-only by "hdparm -r"
fact: device-mapper still refuse to load a RW multipath table on these
paths
fact: if a RO multipath table was loaded at t0, it is still RO at t1

question: shouldn't the write protection change be detected by the scsi
kernel subsystem, or should we implement a userspace device polling ?
question: how do we detect from userspace the device write protection
change ? (trying to load a multipath devmap is not a good test).
sg-utils maybe ? in multipathd or in a separe daemon, as the issue
extends beyond multipathing ?

action: echo 1>/sys/block/sd{a,b}/device/rescan
fact: the write protection flags are updated to the correct RW state and
multipath then works as expected

question: is there a softer way to update the write proctection flags ?

t2)
storage state: R1 (RW) <- resync -> R2 (RO)
action: none
fact: the RW multipath devmap is still loaded

question: so why not permit to load it in the first place ?

---

This scenario shows there is an annoying lack of consistency and
symmetry in the Linux behaviour. I'm willing to implement whatever is
expected from the multipath-tools. But can we define what is expected ?

Alasdair proposed to add more explicit table loading ioctl return code
when the failure is due to this ready-only paths issue (E_ROFS for
example). Which comes short of solving the RO->RW devmap promotion

Please advise.
Christophe Varoqui (keep me on cc:)