[dm-devel] LSF: Multipathing and path checking question

Mike Christie michaelc at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 16 22:59:17 UTC 2009

Hey,

For this topic:

-----------------------
Next-Gen Multipathing
---------------------
Dr. Hannes Reinecke

Should path checkers use sd->state to check for errors or availability?
----------------------

What was decided?

Could this problem be fixed or helped if multipath tools always sets the
fast io fail tmo for FC or the replacement_timeout for iscsi?

If those are set then IO in the blocked queue and in the driver will get
failed after fast io fail tmo/replacement_timeout seconds (driver has to
implement a terminate rport IO callback and only mptfc does not now). So
at this time, do we want to fail the path?

Or are people thinking that we want to fail the path when the problem is
initially detected like when the LLD deletes the rport for fc for example?

Also for this one:
How to communication device went away:
1) send event to udev (uses netlink)

Is this an event when dev_loss_tmo fires or when the LLD first detects
something like a link down (or any event it might block the rport for),
or would it be for when the fast fail io tmo fires (when the fc class is
going to fail running IO and incoming IO), or would we have events for
all of them?