[dm-devel] FS directly on top of dm devices?

Scott Dungan scott at gps.caltech.edu
Thu Apr 16 23:52:06 UTC 2009

We recently had an engineer from a large storage vendor suggest that we
make our file systems directly onto the multipathed devices without
first creating underlying partitions or using LVM.  Having not run with
this method in production before, we would like to gather as much
information as possible first. Initial searches for documentation on
this method has produced few results, short of a Suse/Novell document
from 2005 under section 4:

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/sdb/en/2005/04/sles_multipathing.html

Does anyone have any experience with this or can point us to more
documentation. thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

--

Scott A Dungan