[dm-devel] multipath: expected results of configuring "no_path_retry"?

Hannes Reinecke hare at suse.de
Thu Apr 30 09:17:25 UTC 2009

Diedrich Ehlerding wrote:
> I have a question concerning the expected behavior of dm_multipath
> connected to an EMC Clariion array. Different versions of multipath
> give different results when I disconnect all pathes to the storage.
>
> I have one server (SuSE SLES10 SP2, 2.6.16.60-0.3, multipath-tools
> 0.4.7-34.43) and another one (SLES 11,  2.6.27.19-5-default, 0.4.8-
> 40.1). Both versions recognize the Clariion without further setting in
> multipath.conf. The settings for the Clariion in multipath -t seem to
> be the same (especially queue_if_no_path + no_path_retry 60)
>
> Trying to setup a software mirror on top, i.e. trying to mirror the
> data into a second box, I observed the follwoing diffenrent behavior
> between these two versions:
>
> - on the SLES10 machine, disconnecting the disk in one Clariion results
> in IO error, the mirror breaks up, and the use IO continues on the
> surviving part of the mirror. This is the behavior which I want, and
> which I expected, and this was my understanding of "no_path_retry" -
> retry some times, then terminate IO.
>
> - on the SLES11 machine, the same attempt makes IO hang infinitely. The
> messages display that all pathes fail, and then "Entering recovery
> mode: max_retries=60" - but then, nothing happens; IOs hang.

Yes, I know. You are triggering Novell bugzilla #485281

Patch is already available from my multipath repository

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hare/multipath-tools.git
branch sles11

Will be included in the next maintenance update.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare at suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)