[dm-devel] merging dm-ioband into Linux

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 18:05:09 UTC 2009

Perhaps it will help people to know that there is a good write-up
about how it all works at the end of the patch found at:
http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/patches/dm-ioband-1.7.0.patch

It seem interesting to me.  (I'm still reading through the description
and haven't started looking at the code.)

Regarding:
+                ioband_device_id
+
+                          The ID number for an ioband device. The
same ID
+                        must be set among the ioband devices that
share the
+                        same bandwidth, which means they work on the
same
+                        physical disk.
... but it doesn't have to be the same physical disk, right?  It could
be a group if disks if you felt the need to do something like that,
right?  (You could treat a JBOD as one unit.)  Otherwise, you could
probably eliminate this field.
brassow