[dm-devel] mechanism for multipath to pass information to hardware handler

Mike Christie michaelc at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Jun 27 17:48:26 UTC 2009

On 06/26/2009 07:03 PM, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 14:55 -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 12:45 -0700, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
>>> Yes, Mike Christie and I were aware of this and it was one of the issue
>>> we were trying to resolve before we pushed scsi_dh interface upstream.
>>> (It is little complicated as we need the parameters to be set per
>>> vendor-product tuple).
>>>
>>> The original code I ported to scsi_dh interface was from Ed Goggin(who
>>> was working for EMC then). IIRC, he was also aware of this issue.
>>>
>>> When we pushed scsi_dh interface, we did get few of the EMC folks (on
>>> Cc) to review/test the code and they did, and this issue was not seen as
>>> a problem.
>>>
>>> We wanted to get back to that issue sometime later, got busy with other
>>> things, and it disappeared from my list of things-to-do as the
>>> regression was not seen as an issue (till now :)... I will get back to
>>> it.
>> One way around this might simply be to make the device_handlers create a
>> sysfs interface for additional parameters.  Then the multipath command
>
> Yes, having a per device interface is one of the options we considered.
> Once we have that defined we can either use sysfs or a scsi_dh_8() API
> to achieve the same.
>
> But we wanted to have it per vendor-product instead of per device, I
> don't recall the problems associated with it. Mike(C), do you recall ?

I do not think you want the interface to be per vendor-product in the
kernel. You might want some devices with some feature on and some with
it off. In userspace we can decide if it is should be per vendor-product
or per device, and then have multipath set things up. The kernel
interface should probably be more generic.