[dm-devel] semop failed for cookie?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Apr 28 23:11:46 UTC 2010

On 04/27/2010 05:33 PM, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 03:56:57PM -0500, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> I have a user of an installation tool of mine that is hitting this
>> message, with a very recent pre-fedora-13 kernel.
>
> udev is now involved in this process.
> Check they have up-to-date lvm2 and udev packages and that they've not
> tried to customise their udev rules - if they have, you'll need to
> check their changes didn't break things.
>
> Big script.
>
> Debug it by adding lines to dump the state immediately before the problem
> command, then immediately after it.

Actually, I just grabbed the latest soas nightly livecd build, which for
these purposes should presumably be considered the same as rawhide.

I tried manually do do what I described.  I.e. make a duplicate (same
table, different name) snapshot device.

Interestingly, I'm not seeing the semop cookie thing, but now after the
'resume ioctl failed' message, I checked dmesg, and I'm seeing-

device-mapper: snaphots: Unable to perform snapshot handover until
source is suspended.

Also, this is under virtualization, which, as with other fedora dev
builds I've seen, runs bizarrely slowly.  I.e. I had a couple text root
logins timeout because it didn't finish whatever it needed to finish in
60 seconds.  And while booting I saw dozens of weird udev failure
messages.  But I'm thinking that may have nothing to do with the issue,
and hoping the above message elicits an explanation.  I.e. is what I'm
doing somehow inadvertently utilizing the new snapshot merging semantics
even though it wasn't before, and for my purposes shouldn't?

-dmc