[dm-devel] oblem with lvm and multipath on fedora 13

Stamper, Brian P. (ARC-D)[Logyx LLC] brian.p.stamper at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 27 21:48:55 UTC 2010

Here's what I've found:

If I vgchange the 2 affected VGs to inactive, multipath will pick up the devices.  However, once I do that, I can't seem to get the VGs reactivated in such a way to make the volumes mountable.  I use vgchange -a y to make the VG active, then do "vgscan -mknodes".  That doesn't seem to create the devices in /dev, only in /dev/mapper, so I've tried issuing /etc/init.d/udev-post reload, which does create the volumes in /dev/<vg>/<lv>.  The issue is, it has no blkid.  And if I try to mount the mapper device directly, mount doesn't know what filesystem type it is.  I'm not an lvm pro, so it's possible I'm missing a step or two, but in the past when moving around snapshots of lvms, vgscan -mknodes has always been sufficient.

As for not having multipath in initrd, I have created an initrd image with the following:

mkinitrd /boot/initramfs-with-multipath.img 2.6.33.8-149.fc13.x86_64 --with=dm-multipath

I then created a grub entry for it, booted off it, and no change in behavior.  Is that what you had in mind?

-Brian