[dm-devel] How to change alias name

--[ UxBoD ]-- uxbod at splatnix.net
Wed Feb 3 14:16:38 UTC 2010

----- "--[ UxBoD ]--" <uxbod at splatnix.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have a situation where we need to rename a server and would also
> like to change the associate multipath alias.  Is this possible
> without restarting the whole multipath daemon and killing all our
> other mounted partitions ?  The server we need to work on is in a
> shutdown state so the associated partitions are not active.

Reading through the documentation if I do:

dmsetup -v status insguest01

I see the following with the Name being the alias.

Name:              insguest01
State:             ACTIVE
Read Ahead:        1024
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        4
Event number:      1
Major, minor:      253, 4
Number of targets: 1
UUID: mpath-3600144f0e2824900000049df899b0002

I can then perform the same command on each of its partitions.  If I wanted to rename this guest's devices to insguest02 would I do:

dmsetup rename insguest01 insguest02

then update /etc/multipath.conf so that the alias name reflects the new name at boot time ? and would I need to perform the same operation on all the partitions as well ?

--
Thanks - Phil