[dm-devel] partitioning multipath device

Ron Peterson rpeterso at mtholyoke.edu
Fri Jan 22 19:29:36 UTC 2010

The multipath-tools FAQ has the following to say about partitioning
multipath devices.

>From http://christophe.varoqui.free.fr/faq.html

> 6. How do I partition my multipathed devices
> Partition a constituant path instead. And reload the map through multipath(8)

I take this to mean, for example, that one should partition /dev/sdX,
rather than the corresponding coalesced /dev/mapper/... device, correct?

My question is: why?  Paritioning the /dev/mapper device appears to
work.  Is there an operational difference?  I've always done this
exactly as advised, but I know someone who didn't, and we're wondering
if it matters.

TIA

-Ron-