[dm-devel] Rescan for new LUNs

Malahal Naineni malahal at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 1 18:21:04 UTC 2010

Allen, Jack [Jack.Allen at mckesson.com] wrote:
> Something to some file is not very helpful. And the other LUNs are in
> use. I am just trying to keep from having to reboot if I really do not
> need to.

I said what I said because the exact file depends on how your LUN is
connected. Here is some useful info though! For each scsi host, there
should be a sysfs file "/sys/class/scsi_host/hostN/scan". If you know
the exact host number, say "2", then you can do the following to rescan:

echo '- - -' > /sys/class/scsi_host/host2/scan

If you don't know the host number, then try on all of them.

Thanks, Malahal
PS: try running 'find /sys -name scan' to get all the files and chose
what ever you want to scan.