[dm-devel] Any way to access start/len of i/o from path selector?

Brian Jackson iggy at theiggy.com
Tue Jul 6 18:07:52 UTC 2010

I have a group of storage appliances that implement raid over the network. The
data is spread out redundantly over the entire group of appliances. I can
access the entire array from each member. When you access a block that isn't
physically on that host, that appliance proxies the request to the device that
does have the block. So every block is accessible on every appliance, but it
would be best to request the block from the box that actually has it. Since
the blocks are evenly striped across the appliances, it's pretty easy to
mathematically figure out which appliance to ask. The only problem I'm having
is trying to access info about the request (start/len) from the path selector.
Realistically I just need the start address. I can't see breaking the i/o
across "array block boundaries" being a huge win.

Is there maybe another way to do this that would work better?