[dm-devel] max number of paths

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Mon Mar 15 20:15:14 UTC 2010

Charlie Sharkey wrote:

> Is there a maximum number of paths supported by the device mapper ?
>
> I have a setup with 12 paths to 14 luns. I had to reduce the number of paths
>
> to 10 for the device mapper to startup correctly.

i have seen such problems with linux kernel 2.4, long ago, when max SCSI
disk devices was 256 (and hence - also max paths for such devices).

if you're not using SCSI, but rather some other type of device - it
could be a limitation of the specific low level driver.

which kernel are you using? and which linux distribution? and what kind
of block devices do your disks reside on?

--guy