[dm-devel] Determine partition prefix used for mpath devices

David Huffman dm-devel at storix.com
Tue Mar 16 20:28:48 UTC 2010

In a script, I need to somehow determine what prefix is being used for
partitions as set by UDEV. It seems that the naming convention is in
flux and could change frequently. When using user_friendly_names the
prefix is set using kpartx within udev rules. My problem is I need to
know what the prefix is so my scripts know what device naming convention
to look for.

Here are the different iterations of naming schemes:

mpath0p1
mpath0-part1
mpathap1
mpatha-part1

Is there a way other than grepping through the udev rules to determine
what the prefix is? The partitions may not exist so I cannot just look
to see what they are. I need to know BEFORE I create partitions. I know
this is a strange request, but I am working with a lot of code that was
designed before multipath was available and using the sys naming is not
an option (i.e. /disk/by-id/wwid).

Thanks in advance,
David