[dm-devel] dm-cache module

Heinz Mauelshagen heinzm at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 15:05:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 00:56 -0400, Ming Zhao wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thank you very much for your advice!
>
> I can revise dm-cache code and resubmit it as you suggested. I would
> also love to know Heinz's progress on his implementation and work with
> him if there anything I could contribute.

Hi all,

this is a list of the functions of my dm-hstore
device-mapper target implementation:

o caches reads and writes keeping persistent state metadata.
o writes back in order to enhance streaming performance
  on fragmented access pattern.
o can run on top of readonly original device
o if so, writes back any dirty areas when set readwrite
  (useful for tests)
o readonly <-> readwrite access changes supported via message interface
o initializes metadata for extents in cache in the background
  in order to fasten cache construction
o supports cache resizing via message interface or constructor
o keeps metadata persistent by default
o stores CRCs with metadata for integrity checks
o stores versions with metadata to support future metadata migration

Test features only:
o transient cache
o cache write through

Provides very good performance on SSD cache backing stores.

Has been shelved for a while because of other priorities so I need to
rebase it to the actual kernel.

Regards,
Heinz