[dm-devel] Question about WWID

Rodrigo Nascimento nascimento.rp at gmail.com
Wed May 5 04:03:00 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Thanks Dr. Hannes Reinecke.

After read some docs, I found out this information about the WWID:

- Its origin is the VPD Pages;
- It's a NAA (Network Address Authority) identifier;
- As a NAA identifier it is unique because its format is:
      3 + 6(from NAA 6) + IEEE Company_id + Vendor Specific Identifier +
Vendor Specific Identifier Extension

+ == concatenated

Please, if it is not correct tell me.

Thanks and Regards,

Nascimento

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Hannes Reinecke <hare at suse.de> wrote:

> Rodrigo Nascimento wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > How the WWID from dm-mp is generated? I can image that it use serial
> > number of the disk, but how it is really generated?
> >
> It is using the SCSI Inquiry VPD pages; page 0x83 or, failing that, path
> 0x80.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hannes
> --
> Dr. Hannes Reinecke                   zSeries & Storage
> hare at suse.de                          +49 911 74053 688
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg
> GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
>
> --

Rodrigo Nascimento
Storage System Engineer