[dm-devel] RFC: multipath IO multiplex

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at novell.com
Mon Nov 8 14:18:38 UTC 2010

On 2010-11-08T12:56:38, Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com> wrote:

> > I wonder how other latency-sensitive IO handles multipath? Maybe they
> > just haven't noticed yet they'd like a facility like this? ;-)
> As usual, it's the lack of a cancellation interface for incomplete I/O
> that seems to make the kernel-side option troublesome: we still have
> to wait for timeouts.

That would apply just as well to user-space though, no?

Like I said, the goal would be to report the first successful IO
completion, or the last failure - any other failures or results simply
get discarded at the kernel level. (Or wherever.)

> Do we prevent more than one I/O being sent in this mode, given that
> any other alternative would have races?

I don't follow. What races?

Of course the application needs to know this, and can't just treat it
like a regular block device.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.