[dm-devel] Fwd: [dm-crypt] [BUG] bad performance and system stalls when using dm-crypt

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Sun Oct 24 16:31:18 UTC 2010

On 10/24/2010 05:32 PM, dave b wrote:
> I am forwarding this to the linux kernel mailing list to see if anyone
> is actually interested with this bug or not. I suspect that the patch
> to allow DM-CRYPT to use multiple cpus(Scale to multiple CPUs) will
> remove most of the problem but *not* all of it. As I previously was
> triggering the bug on a single core system.

Hi,
sorry for not updating the bug. We know about this.

Fix was expected to be based on top of the Andi's dm-crypt per-cpu
patch but unfortunately I found serious problems there
(see this thread http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/10/20/215 )

So there are now several known situations when dm-crypt doesn't
perform as expected (another problem just appeared when using CFQ,
(because dm(-crypt) lost the issuing process reference)
see http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/10/24/59).

Milan