[dm-devel] clustered snapshots status, LVM on shared storage without CLVM?

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 21:49:57 UTC 2011

A true active/active cluster snapshot is not currently planned.  There
is some discussion from time to time about whether it is appropriate
or not, but even this is idle chatter until the new (single-machine)
shared snapshot implementation is completed.

However, you will be able to take snapshots in a cluster in the next
RHEL releases (or if you use upstream sources) if the volume you are
snapshotting is activated exclusively.

It is possible to use LVM in a cluster without CLVM.  I don't think it
would be smart though.  You are essentially trying to do clvmd's job.
Do you know everything that it does?  Are you sure you won't ever make
a mistake?

  brassow