[dm-devel] dm-crypt TRIM support

Jeff Cook jeff at deserettechnology.com
Tue Jul 12 17:47:14 UTC 2011

Thank you for the update. I would really like TRIM support on my
dm-crypt SSD and I'm not worried about the revelations that may be
discernible regarding trimmed space, etc.

Can you help me understand how I can pass the TRIM command through the
dm-crypt layer? I've looked through the device-mapper code in the kernel
and based on the implementation of TRIM in other dm clients it looks
like it should be relatively straightforward to get the message sent in
dm-crypt. Can you give me a couple of pointers or a brief outline of
what functions would need modification? I am not concerned with making
this optional at the moment since the patch would not (yet) be aimed for
mainline inclusion.

Please let me know if I am mistaken. I appreciate the quick response and
the efforts you've put toward this so far. Thanks again. :)

From
Jeff

Jeff Cook
(801) 231-3157