[dm-devel] Preliminary Agenda and Activities for LSF

Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com Shyam_Iyer at Dell.com
Tue Mar 29 23:09:28 UTC 2011

Let me back up here.. this has to be thought in not only the traditional Ethernet sense but also in a Data Centre Bridged environment. I shouldn't have wandered into the multipath constructs..

I think the statement on not going to the same LUN was a little erroneous. I meant different /dev/sdXs.. and hence different block I/O queues.

Each I/O queue could be thought of as a bandwidth queue class being serviced through a corresponding network adapter's queue(assuming a multiqueue capable adapter)

Let us say /dev/sda(Through eth0) and /dev/sdb(eth1) are a cgroup bandwidth group corresponding to a weightage of 20% of the I/O bandwidth the user has configured this weight thinking that this will correspond to say 200Mb of bandwidth.

Let us say the network bandwidth on the corresponding network queues corresponding was reduced by the DCB capable switch...
We still need an SLA of 200Mb of I/O bandwidth but the underlying dynamics have changed.

In such a scenario the option is to move I/O to a different bandwidth priority queue in the network adapter. This could be moving I/O to a new network queue in eth0 or another queue in eth1 ..

This requires mapping the block queue to the new network queue.

One way of solving this is what is getting into the open-iscsi world i.e. creating a session tagged to the relevant DCB priority and thus the session gets mapped to the relevant tc queue which ultimately maps to one of the network adapters multiqueue..

But when multipath fails over to the different session path then the DCB bandwidth priority will not move with it..

Ok one could argue that is a user mistake to have configured bandwidth priorities differently but it may so happen that the bandwidth priority was just dynamically changed by the switch for the particular queue.

Although I gave an example of a DCB environment but we could definitely look at doing a 1:n map of block queues to network adapter queues for non-DCB environments too..

-Shyam