[dm-devel] dm-bufio

Joe Thornber thornber at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 09:15:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:05:51AM -0400, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> Hi
>
> I found a way how to shut up lockdep warnings in dm-bufio, so you can
> download new a version which uses nested locks from
> http://people.redhat.com/mpatocka/patches/kernel/dm-thinp-bufio/

Thanks Mikulas, I'd had a couple of people ask me about these warnings.

> BTW. why did you move dm-bufio to persistent-data directory? What are
> other dm-bufio users (such as dm-zeroed or dm-multisnap) going to do? I
> thought dm-bufio should be a separate module available to all device
> mapper targets, such as dm-io, dm-kcopyd or so?

agk made it clear he wasn't going to merge bufio when I met with him a
couple of weeks ago.  So to try and speed things up I put my 'agk' hat
on and tidied as I thought he would.  The main things I did were
remove the gratuitous gotos (eg, jumping from one branch of an if to
another).

I'm not sure moving dm-bufio to pdata was the right thing to do.  My
rationale was there's only one user atm, so put it in there.  I don't
think the header should be in include/linux, this is not going to be
used outside dm (dm-io.h should be either).

This isn't set in stone, take this up with agk.

- Joe