[dm-devel] dm-io async WRITE_SAME results in iSCSI NULL pointer [was: Re: Write same support]

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 14:42:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21 2012 at  7:31am -0500,
Martin K. Petersen <martin.petersen at oracle.com> wrote:

> Mike> This patch fixed the issue for me (though I'm still missing why
> Mike> bio->bi_phys_segments was 0 given blkdev_issue_write_same() sets
> Mike> it):
>
> Ok, I see what's going on. You have your own dm-specific make request
> function. When cloning the original bio phys_segments isn't carried
> over. And that's why we see 0 in sd.

Ah, yes indeed.  I was just setting out to answer the why on it so
you've saved me some time, thanks!

> For discard this is not a problem because we hardwire things in sd.c
> regardless of what was passed down. And besides you have special
> handling for mapping discards in DM.

sd allocating the page used for discard was what enabled DM to have
discard support; otherwise cloning a discard required allocation of the
page and it all got _really_ ugly.

> I was trying to avoid perpetuating Christoph's horrible hack (his words,
> not mine). But maybe it's better to do it the same way as for discard so
> we only have to have to deal with pure evil in one place.

Which hack are you referring to?  sd allocates the page used for
discard (I had a hand in that work, along with tomo, and don't hold it
to be too big a hack really).

But I'm not immediately seeing a clean way to do so for WRITE SAME
because the user provided buffer would need to get down to sd somehow.

> I'll contemplate a bit...
>

> PS. The good news is that your async stuff works when I set phys_segs to
> 1 in sd.

Yeah, it worked with the patch I provided in my previous mail too.  But
ultimately the async stuff wasn't working for me due to merging.