[dm-devel] About the thin provision function @ kernel 3.2 or later.

Yukihito HARA yukihito.hara623 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 01:27:34 UTC 2012

Hi, I'm Yukihito, and interested in Linux system.

Recently days, I became happy to hear that Linux kernel start to support
thin-provisioning function.
And not trying to how it work on latest kernel.

According to the word "thin provisioning", I'm imaging that, I can get
larger space than actual disk size. This image is born from
thin-provisioning system working on VMWare series.
And can write the files until reach to the physical maximum. Once reach to
the physical maximum, I can't write any more files to that volume, but I
can write more files after add additional physical disks to thin-pool.

I could create the pool according to the documents included in the kernel
source(Documentation/device-mapper/thin-provisioning.txt).
But I'm not sure, it works as I expecting like above.

So can you provide more detailed documentation about the thin-provisioning,
if you have?
There're no documentation written in Japanese, so I'll also output this
communication to wiki or my twitter in Japanese. It helpful to make your
work more major among Japanese IT engineers. And you can get more feedback
if the challengers in Japan will be increased.
The worst point of the current documentation is, it's not instruct about
how to use like above. Can't get image how to use this like VMware system
from that document.

Sorry, this is my private testing, not for work. So I can't get much time
to this, but very interested in.

I'm looking forward to your answer.

Thank you.
Yukihito.