[dm-devel] About the thin provision function @ kernel 3.2 or later.

Heinz Mauelshagen heinzm at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 16:21:06 UTC 2012

On 01/16/2012 02:27 AM, Yukihito HARA wrote:
> Hi, I'm Yukihito, and interested in Linux system.

Hi.

> Recently days, I became happy to hear that Linux kernel start to
> support thin-provisioning function.
> And not trying to how it work on latest kernel.
>
> According to the word "thin provisioning", I'm imaging that, I can get
> larger space than actual disk size. This image is born from
> thin-provisioning system working on VMWare series.

Thin provisioning iis a general design to save storage costs.

There's solutions in software and hardware in the market, including VMWare.
Higher range storage systems feature it.

> And can write the files until reach to the physical maximum. Once
> reach to the physical maximum, I can't write any more files to that
> volume, but I can write more files after add additional physical disks
> to thin-pool.

Yes.

> I could create the pool according to the documents included in the
> kernel source(Documentation/device-mapper/thin-provisioning.txt).
> But I'm not sure, it works as I expecting like above.
>
> So can you provide more detailed documentation about the
> thin-provisioning, if you have?

Did you read Documentation/device-mapper/thin-provisioning.txt in the
kernel source tree to use it yet?
It provides advice how to create thin-provisioned devices and snapshots
(see dmsetup message examples).

> There're no documentation written in Japanese, so I'll also output
> this communication to wiki or my twitter in Japanese. It helpful to
> make your work more major among Japanese IT engineers. And you can get
> more feedback if the challengers in Japan will be increased.
> The worst point of the current documentation is, it's not instruct
> about how to use like above. Can't get image how to use this like
> VMware system from that document.

Keep in mind that there'll be LVM2 support available later in distributions.
You can pull that code from the HEAD of the LVM2 upstream repository for
testing purposes already (not meant for production use obviously).

> Sorry, this is my private testing, not for work. So I can't get much
> time to this, but very interested in.

Thanks for trying it, we're interested in external feedback.

Regards,
Heinz

> I'm looking forward to your answer.
>
> Thank you.
> Yukihito.
>

> --

Heinz Mauelshagen                               +49 2626 141200
Consulting Development Engineer             FAX +49 2626 924446
Red Hat GmbH
Am Sonnenhang 11
56242 Marienrachdorf
Germany                                       heinzm at redhat.com