[dm-devel] Multisnap / dm-thin

Spelic spelic at shiftmail.org
Wed Jan 18 10:35:40 UTC 2012

Hello all,
I would need the multisnap feature, i.e., the ability to make many
snapshots without high performance degradation...
I saw it mentioned around, but it does not seem to be in the kernel yet.
Is it planned to be introduced? Is there an ETA?

Note that I am not very fond of the new dm-thin which is planned to have
a multisnap-equivalent feature, because of the fragmentation it will
cause (I suppose a defragmenter is long way to come). Not having
fragmentation is the reason for using blockdevices instead of loop
mounted files after all isn't it?

Thanks for your information
Spelic