[dm-devel] dm-thin vs lvm performance

Jagan Reddy gjmsreddy at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 23:58:35 UTC 2012

Joe,
 I was running more tests to get more data.

 To answer your questions, I always use dd to write zeroes to ramdisk( you can also see this in the script I attached). So the ramdisk is allocated. I use

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram oflag=direct bs=512 count=`blockdev --getsize /dev/ram`

I get 9000+MB/s on allocated ramdisk using aio_stress. I was running the tests on same ramdisk. The performance doesn't change if i run thin test first and then raw test.

I modified the test to divide 4G ramdisk into 2 ramdisks. ( ramdisk1=2G ramdisk2=2G). Then I create tp lun on ramdisk1 and lvm lun on ramdisk2.

Numbers I see

ramdisk 10125 MB/s

ramdisk1 9690.55

ramdisk2 9548.89

unallocated tp lun 2257.67

fully allocated tp lun 5742.14

ramdisk 10288.2

ramdisk1 9721.8

ramdisk2 9415.25

Data not written lvm lun 9258.24

Data written lvm lun 9126.04

I have attached the script I use and the output. I wonder if  using 16 quad core processor and doing lot of of parallel operations is causing the issue to be reproduced.

Thanks,
Jagan.