[dm-devel] [LSF/MM TOPIC] a few storage topics

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert at interlog.com
Tue Jan 24 19:48:54 UTC 2012

On 12-01-24 12:59 PM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> Mike>  1) expose WRITE SAME via higher level interface (ala
> Mike>     sb_issue_discard) for more efficient zeroing on SCSI devices
> Mike>     that support it
>
> I actually thought I had submitted those patches as part of the thin
> provisioning update. Looks like I held them back for some reason. I'll
> check my notes to figure out why and get the kit merged forward ASAP!
>

> Mike>  4) is anyone working on an interface to GET LBA STATUS?
> Mike>     - Martin Petersen added GET LBA STATUS support to scsi_debug,
> Mike>       but is there a vision for how tools (e.g. pvmove) could
> Mike>       access such info in a uniform way across different vendors'
> Mike>       storage?
>
> I hadn't thought of that use case. Going to be a bit tricky given how
> GET LBA STATUS works...

What's new in ACS-3 (t13.org ATA Command Set):
   f10138r6 Adds the ability for the device to return a
            list of the LBAs that are currently trimmed.

So it looks like t13.org are adding a GET LBA STATUS type facility.
That in turn should lead to a SAT-3 (SCSI to ATA Translation)
definition of a mapping between both facilities.

Doug Gilbert