[dm-devel] Ext4 and xfs problems in dm-thin on allocation and discard

Spelic spelic at shiftmail.org
Mon Jun 18 21:33:50 UTC 2012

Hello all
I am doing some testing of dm-thin on kernel 3.4.2 and latest lvm from
source (the rest is Ubuntu Precise 12.04).
There are a few problems with ext4 and (different ones with) xfs

I am doing this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=zeroes bs=1M count=1000 conv=fsync
lvs
rm zeroes #optional
dd if=/dev/zero of=zeroes bs=1M count=1000 conv=fsync  #again
lvs
rm zeroes #optional
dd if=/dev/zero of=zeroes bs=1M count=1000 conv=fsync  #again
lvs
rm zeroes
fstrim /mnt/mountpoint
lvs

On ext4 the problem is that it always reallocates blocks at different
places, so you can see from lvs that space occupation in the pool and
thinlv increases at each iteration of dd, again and again, until it has
allocated the whole thin device (really 100% of it). And this is true
regardless of me doing rm or not between one dd and the other.
The other problem is that by doing this, ext4 always gets the worst
performance from thinp, about 140MB/sec on my system, because it is
constantly allocating blocks, instead of 350MB/sec which should have
been with my system if it used already allocated regions (see below
compared to xfs). I am on an MD raid-5 of 5 hdds.
I could suggest to add a "thinp mode" mount option to ext4 affecting the
allocator, so that it tries to reallocate recently used and freed areas
and not constantly new areas. Note that mount -o discard does work and
prevents allocation bloating, but it still always gets the worst write
performances from thinp. Alternatively thinp could be improved so that
block allocation is fast :-P (*)
However, good news is that fstrim works correctly on ext4, and is able
to drop all space allocated by all dd's. Also mount -o discard works.

On xfs there is a different problem.
Xfs apparently correctly re-uses the same blocks so that after the first
write at 140MB/sec, subsequent overwrites of the same file are at full
speed such as 350MB/sec (same speed as with non-thin lvm), and also you
don't see space occupation going up at every iteration of dd, either
with or without rm in-between the dd's. [ok actually now retrying it
needed 3 rewrites to stabilize allocation... probably an AG count thing.]
However the problem with XFS is that discard doesn't appear to work.
Fstrim doesn't work, and neither does "mount -o discard ... + rm zeroes"
. There is apparently no way to drop the allocated blocks, as seen from
lvs. This is in contrast to what it is written here
http://xfs.org/index.php/FITRIM/discard which declare fstrim and mount
-o discard to be working.
Please note that since I am above MD raid5 (I believe this is the
reason), the passdown of discards does not work, as my dmesg says:
[160508.497879] device-mapper: thin: Discard unsupported by data device
(dm-1): Disabling discard passdown.
but AFAIU, unless there is a thinp bug, this should not affect the
unmapping of thin blocks by fstrimming xfs... and in fact ext4 is able
to do that.

(*) Strange thing is that write performance appears to be roughly the
same for default thin chunksize and for 1MB thin chunksize. I would have
expected thinp allocation to be faster with larger thin chunksizes but
instead it is actually slower (note that there are no snapshots here and
hence no CoW). This is also true if I set the thinpool to not zero newly
allocated blocks: performances are about 240 MB/sec then, but again they
don't increase with larger chunksizes, they actually decrease slightly
with very large chunksizes such as 16MB. Why is that?

Thanks for your help
S.