[dm-devel] Does dm-thin support GC (garbage collection) ?

Busby chaimvy at gmail.com
Tue May 8 05:01:29 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,
            Thank you for your reply. Does the thin pool can reuse the
blocks that the thin-lun freed( like ssd 's discard/trim , the lun
will discard the blocks to the pool ). As the filesystem  creates a
file (3 G bytes big, etc.) will cause the block allocation of the thin
pool (thin lun), if delete the file, will the space(the blocks,3 G
bytes ,etc. ) dynamically be reused now (as we think thin-lun knows
the blocks delete by the FS )? or have to delete the thin-lun then the
space will be reused (just thin provision only once, not support block
reclamation from thin-lun to pool while lun is using )? I want to know
something about the 'block (page) reclamation' before my test :)
           Thanks.

Regards,
Busby