[dm-devel] dm-verity: Verification fails but do not see Input/Output Error on read

Chaitra Bhat Chaitra.Bhat at VERIFONE.com
Thu Aug 8 09:01:44 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am currently experimenting with dm-verity. I was able to successfully set-up a dm-verity target and mount it as a read-only filesystem.

But when I was testing the functionality of dm-verity, I found this. As suggested by Will Drewry in one of his e-mails, I used dd to write over the underlying block device, then tried to dd it out via the dm-verity device. I did not get EIO when I did this.

I then did a veritysetup verify and it said "Verification failed at position x", with 'x' being the position I had modified using dd.

So, any idea why do I not get Input/Output Error message when I know that verification is failing at that location?

(Yes, I did drop the caches before reading)

-Chaitra
This electronic message, including attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or company named above or to which it is addressed. The information contained in this message shall be considered confidential and proprietary, and may include confidential work product. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this email immediately.