[dm-devel] noob usage question

Brassow Jonathan jbrassow at redhat.com
Fri Aug 9 22:22:16 UTC 2013

On Aug 9, 2013, at 4:01 PM, John Strange wrote:

> When I create a linear target, I can't create partitions or format the mapped drive.  I get an invalid parameter argument for an ioctl.  I'm obviously doing something stupid.  What do I need to do to create partitions, format, mount a dm-n?

You don't want to create partitions, do you?

Just create an mapping and use it.  If you need another, create another.  Need to remove one, just remove it.

Also, I'm assuming you want to use device-mapper.  If you want persistent devices (ones that stick around after a reboot), you may wish to use LVM.

 brassow