[dm-devel] noob usage question

John Strange johnstra10 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 02:19:24 UTC 2013

Yes, I think I do want to create partitions.  My expectation is to create a
mapping based on one or more raw physical device (luns).  There are a
number features I would like implement behind my mapping target driver.  My
understanding is that I can treat the mapping (the target device) as if it
were a raw disk and that I can format it as appropriate for whatever
workload will use it.

For instance... I need to present a device (it would appear to the OS as a
raw block device) composed of ranges of blocks from different devices -
spinning media, ssd, PCIe flash, etc.  My target driver can guarantee a QOS
(throughput, latency, combo) and it will service read requests across the
range of physical media comprising the target.

This target device would appear to the OS as a block device.  The workload
that uses the device might require a filesystem on it, so I need to mount a
FS.

That's what I'm aiming for.  I ran into problems trying to format my target
device so I created a linear mapping and it behaved the same way... could
not put a partition on it or format it.

-john